Factions: A Thief RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Factions: A Thief RPG

FACTIONS is an RPG based in the Thief world. Take the role of a member of one the powers of the City and carve out your place. FACTIONS is a working title and may change.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Marlowe takes a walk

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
quotidia

quotidia

Marlowe takes a walk Empty
PostSubject: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 12:05 am

In the darkness a boiler hissed and pinged, coming to life like a waking creature. A light flickered on to illuminate the cobblestone street. Marlowe, dressed in his travelling robe, clung to a nearby recess, hood held low over his face. From here he could see yet another wall lined with Mechanist propaganda. The smug face of Karras, the rogue Hammerite inventor, peered back at him.

He had lost many friends to the Mechanists. Many good men who were blinded by the golden veil that Karras draped over the City, who forgot the true scriptures of the Master Builder. Marlowe knew in his heart that with each new mechanical wonder, a little bit of the old ways died a cruel death. Devoted, honest men were at first being turned from their faith by talk of revolution, a potent song, but now with the Mechanists more powerful than even the Pagans had ever been, the piper's tune played a melody of greed.

Even Marlowe, unshakable in his devotion to the church, felt a dark, deep pang of worry. He was haunted by doubts of his own survival. The very idea that the Hammerites were a dying breed was not far fetched. Karras, as far as false prophets went, was a seductive siren's song. The fickle nobility would be more than pleased to see the Hammerites retired, replaced by the golden, guilded, scripture-bending Mechanists. The Hammerites had only offered them salvation - Karras offered miracles.

An approaching Mechanist patrolman woke Marlowe from his bitter thoughts. The priest waited in shadow.
Back to top Go down
http://quotidia.deviantart.com/
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 1:17 am

Miranda gritted her teeth as she walked down the street, her young companion following behind. She turned to face him with a horrible glare.

"Friend..I am trying my best not to punch thee," her voice was like ice for her patience had grown rather thin.

"When I say to leave thee be, I expect you to listen. Now head back to Angelwatch, Vilnia doesn't like it when we stray from her watch. I'll come along shortly." Miranda continued alone down the street, clutching the recruitment papers in her hands, droping a few as she quickened her pace.

The Mechanist patrolman walked past Marlowe's hiding place, not seeing him. The man seemed troubled by his thoughts, the mace he carried was held loosely almost dragging on the ground. He stopped for a second to catch his breath before moving again.

"Builder guide thine thoughts this night," he spoke out loud.
Back to top Go down
http://www.carlysolven.daportfolio.com
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 am

"Just let me help thee..." Vincent almost pleaded as he kept following her. "Thine work will get done much sooner if you let me help. Then we can both return to Angelwatch and continue our regular duties." He kept up with Miranda easily. "All I'm trying to do is help thee. Neither of us are used to being out and about, and I can tell thou doesn't care much for the change..."
Back to top Go down
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 29, 2010 1:42 am

She stopped suddenly, causing Vincent to run into her as she spun and grabbed the front of his uniform. Her green eyes blazed fire as she pulled him to her.

"You are disobeying your supervisor, Friend." She was tightening now, choaking him.

"Now leave."
Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 12:39 am

In one smooth movement Marlowe slipped from the shadows and yanked the mace from the Mechanist's loose grip, letting it fall behind him as he tackled the patrolman into the stone wall. Despite only having an inch or two in height over him, Marlowe's forearm was pressed up hard against his neck, grinding his face into the unforgiving stone.

"Each moment of thy life hath a choice - accept the trial the Builder hath set for thee, or lay down thy burden and die." He hissed.

With a cruel grin, his face flecked with sweat and his eyes blazing, Marlowes free hand brought his silver dagger up and into the armpit of his prey, easily slipping through the gap in chainmail, the ribs and into the heart. With a throaty groan he drove it in deeper, steaming hot blood gushing over his clenched fist. The Mechanist bucked against his attacker, but with a curdling moan, fell limp.

"Brother, join thy Brothers, for you are cleansed and forged anew." Marlowe prayed.
Back to top Go down
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 2:28 am

"I..." Vincent choked a bit, sighed, then finally nodded. "L-let me go, sister Miranda...I'll go."

He pushed her away gently. "Forgive me..I just figured we could both use some company for a while...you know, before going back. But I...I'll just go back myself then..." He shuffled his feet nervously for a bit before turning and heading back to Angelwatch, an unusual sulk in his posture as he walked.
Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 8:29 am

Letting the heavy body slip to the ground, Marlowe grabbed him by the boots and pulled him into an alcove. The Mechanist was solidly built, at least 6'2", making it no simple task to drag him even a few feet. Breathing hard, he leant over his prey and tore the blue and gold hood from his head.

For a moment Marlowe gazed into the dead eyes of this fallen brother. He didn't recognise him. Would it have changed anything? Marlowe had seen many of his brothers lay down their hammers and pick up maces. He'd seen men who used to be boys beneath his care, men who he'd taught scripture, who he'd praised, who he'd guided. All of them abandoning him. All of them spitting in the face of God. Would he have tried to save this man, had he been a former friend?

The question was already answered. Marlowe did save him.

With a steady, determined hand, he plunged his knife into the left eye socket, then the right. Popping each eye out, he gently placed them on the guilded chest armor of their former owner. Marlowe then dipped his index finger in blood and painted the shape of a hammer on the mechanist's forehead.

He hoped that when discovered, this would send a loud, clear message. It had to be gruesome. It had to be cruel. It had to be a sin against nature and it had to be done.

Wiping his blade clean he stood up to admire his work.
Back to top Go down
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2010 11:29 pm

Miranda rolled her eyes as she watched the young man walk off. She didn't want him to be depenant on her the whole time, or have the need to feel that he had to be with her. With a heavy sigh she continued down the street growing tired herself. She stopped when she saw blood on the ground and was nervous when she say how wet it still was.

She looked around holding the flyers tightly to her chest. She noticed the mace near the wall and went over to it. A grim expression was on her face as she feard the worst for her brother or sister who had been walking by here.

"Sweet Builder..."
Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:05 am

Marlowe watched the Mechanist woman from the shadows of his alcove further down the street. How easily he could walk up, take her... all it would take was a a strong arm... No... No...

He shut his eyes tightly and concentrated hard on controlling the fires within. A queasy wave overtook him. By the Builder, could he not control himself? He, Renard Marlowe? He reminded himself that what he did was all part of a plan much greater than him, much greater than his feelings.

His head swam with adrenaline, his thoughts a wet haze of inflamed emotions. He ran from his alcove, not caring to go quietly. Damn them all. The priest fled.
Back to top Go down
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:37 pm

((Whoo! Found Free WiFi at the Inn! And got the lappy working))

Miranda turned towards the sound her leg muscles tensed, ready to run after or flee. Cautious, she followed at a fast pace, gradually picking up speed. She ran past the alcove where here dead Brother lay and rounded the corner only to find nothing. Who or whatever was there was gone out of sight.

She felt herself break out into a cold sweat as if she could feel the shadow around her. Pulling back her hood, she wiped her brow and pushed back blond strands that escaped her bun. She did a last look around then left, she wasn't about to stay on this street for much longer.

"The shadows aren't friendly this night," she whispered to herself as a method of comfort. "Tis very unfriendly." Since when were shadows in The cursed City she called home safe? What did she have to fear? She had the Builder's Blessing upon her and could easily win in a fight. She just felt very uneasy, as if the Builder Himself left for her to fend for herself.

With what energy she had left she ran back for Angelwatch, never seeing the dead Mechanist who lay just feet away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Marlowe takes a walk   Marlowe takes a walk I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marlowe takes a walk
Page 1 of 1