Factions: A Thief RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Factions: A Thief RPG

FACTIONS is an RPG based in the Thief world. Take the role of a member of one the powers of the City and carve out your place. FACTIONS is a working title and may change.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Markets, Midday

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ravenwood

The Markets, Midday Empty
PostSubject: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 8:01 pm

It had been a long, productive day so far in the markets. Whatever Eleni could sell here had already been taken care of, and she was sure no one had seen her sell a single pagan herb, she had been far too careful.

The rest she was going to need to save for the fences in the city. Plenty of her herbs were very useful for making health potions, so she would save a generous amount of product knowing they would always bring her a hefty profit.

For now anyway she just decided go stroll through the markets. Her herb pouch was draped around her belt, designed to look like nothing more than a money purse to avoid suspicion. She had already discarded her cloak for the time being, not needing the secrecy while she wasn't selling her herbs.

She exhaled a quiet, content sigh. Best part of her day was getting rid of the identity of hers that snuck around selling illegal herbs. Being herself, Eleni, an everyday civilian going about her normal day. No one would suspect her, no one would try to cause trouble with her. She even hid her pagan heritage extremely well to blend in with the city.

She loved it out here.

Last edited by Ravenwood on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Many people that passed her gave suspitious looks, some sneering at her. Others bumped into her like she didn't exist or just because she was in their path of walking. Other vendors didn't take much notice to her, other then arched their brows at her supplies but they kept quiet. Everyone was trying to earn a living on the corrupted streets of The City, it was more "worry about what you are selling rather then someone else".
Back to top Go down
http://www.carlysolven.daportfolio.com
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 2:55 pm

She just smiled as she passed people by, trying her best to stay out of everyone's way. It was still difficult to pass through the markets at this time of day, many people trying to get last minute shopping done before the end of the day.

While making her way down the street, she made sure to maintain a lot of focus on her purse to make sure no one tried to snatch the remainder of her herbs and money. The city was a fithly place, swimming with crime, but that's what made it exciting to live in she figured.

Last edited by Ravenwood on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 5:24 am

Marlowe gave a wide, slow yawn as he slouched against the wall beside a pottery stall. The midday sun, such as it was in the City, warmed his heavy, tattered old cloak. It smelled like foreign spices and straw dust and had more holes in it that a thief's alibi. He was dressed to blend in.

He often took walks. Sometimes they were simply aimless excursions into the lives of the common people he felt so alienated from, sometimes they had a purpose. Today was half and half. He was in no great rush to return to his tower. A night filled with heavy, dreamless sleep had left him uninspired and numb. And while he did have a goal, to buy a few supplies, he felt content enough to be aimless for a while - at least until his usual supplier arrived.

His gaze drifted from passerby to passerby, watching benignly.
Back to top Go down
http://quotidia.deviantart.com/
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 9:02 pm

Eleni passed a fruit stand, stopping her casual stroll to purchase a fresh, red apple. She reached into her purse, careful to pull out nothing more than a few gold for the delicious fruit and leave the remaining herbs safely stored away, and paid the merchant. "I thank you." She told him, biting into the apple before continuing on her way.

She did spot Marlowe among the crowd but thought nothing of the man. He was just another civilian mingled in with the massive crowd of city-goers. At least she thought that, nothing about the way he was dressed really caught her attention. In fact he pretty much blended in with the rest of them.

She passed him by casually, merely glancing in Marlowe's direction to make sure she didn't step into him or anything. then continuing on her way. She blended in with the crowd almost as well as he did...though there was a fresh yet almost subtle scent of strong herbs lingering on her clothing.
Back to top Go down
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:14 pm

A small boy reached up behind the tall Hammerite, and with his small hands and quick fingers he started to untie Marlowe's leather purse off. The boy drooled as he did so, thinking of what food the coin could buy him.

With a small yank he let the purse fall into his hand, nearly dropping it.
Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:17 pm

Marlowe's eyes drifted shut slowly. The sun felt like a healing haze that warmed his bones and smoothed his mood. He felt a gentle tug on his belt and lazily looked down. A tatty-clothed young boy had his hand around the small purse hanging from his waist. Marlowe's hand shot out and roughly grabbed the kid's wrist. His hand was huge and banadaged up by ripped gauze and cord, a redness seeping from his palm and wrist that looked absolutely horrifying to the boy.

Marlowe yanked the kid up by his arm and tossed him away, into the street. He slammed into a passerby who shouted angrily.

Marlowe's lip flicked up into a smile as he stared the boy down, lifting himself off from the wall to stand over him.
Back to top Go down
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:27 pm

The boy shook, his held his arm as that's where he felt most of the impact.

"You can have your purse back sir! ...I am so hungry." He looked down at the ground, Marlowe's expression frightened him. He looked around him, avoiding Marlowe's face, to the other pedestrians. No one bothered to help, it was a dog eat dog world. The boy still clenched the purse in his hand, his fingers bled from slamming into the ground.

"I won't bother you no more sir," his voice was shallow and dry. The boy looked no more then 12 years old, but his thin, boney frame seemed to age him.
Back to top Go down
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:28 pm

Eleni turned when she started hearing some commotion behind her. Not knowing what had occured earlier all she saw was a tall man standing over a poor and probably starving child. The number of unattended orphans in this city was staggering.

She hurried over to watch the scene play out. Showing a lot of concern for the poor child, she wondered how wise it would be to intervene.
Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:38 pm

"And then what will you do, boy?" Marlowe asked in his usual tone, sing-song and deep, as he stepped closer. His hands were clasped modestly together, showing both were wrapped in dirty gauze.

"Will you have a job tomorrow? A Mother? Family? Will all these things come to you tomorrow, so that you never steal again?" He watched the boy closely, focusing in on him, so that nothing else mattered or even existed.
Back to top Go down
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:51 pm

The boy gasped and shivered. What was he supposed to say to this man? He was already in trouble.

"I have no family, no home." He let go of the purse, and pushed it back to Marlowe, ignoring the bandaged hands.

"Just let me go, I promise I won't do it again." The boy laid his head on the ground and winced, the pain in his stomach grew more agonising.
Back to top Go down
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:12 pm

Eleni just watched, feeling terrible that she couldn't help the poor boy at all. She truly wanted to approach the two and cover for the poor child, offer him some of her gold and let him be on his way. She had made plenty of money for the day, she would be more than happy to help out someone less fortunate than herself.

She started taking a few cautious steps closer to the two, brushing a few strands of her bangs out of her eyes.
Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:29 pm

Marlowe watched him closely, a faint smile tugging on his mouth. He took a step and crouched down over the boy, like a great vulture swooping in.

He reached out and laid his hand on the boy's shoulderblade. His hand looked huge compared to the boy, whose bones were visible even through the thin layer of cloth that covered them. Marlowe, who knew a great deal about fire magic, and who held the blood of a mage, concentrated on that hand. He brought a warmth to it, willing his blood to heat up until a pleasent glow not unlike the midday sun flooded from his fingers onto the boy.

"You have family, you have a Father." He let his little coin purse sit on the ground between them. "He watches over you, has plans for you. Take my coins, buy something to eat - but remember this gift when you next walk past a cathedral and see your brothers at work. Go to them, build thyself, be strong, and thou shall never go hungry again."
Back to top Go down
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:46 pm

The boy was more scared then moved by Marlowe's speech. In an attempt to escape, he grabed the offered purse and ran, knocking into Eleni not caring if he pushed her to the ground or not. He just wanted to get out of there.

He ran down the street, turned the corner and was gone.
Back to top Go down
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:53 pm

The fact that she was in fact knocked to the ground by such a thin, starving child said wonders for the lack of her own physical strength. She groaned a bit and looked up at Marlowe, a vague scowl on her face. That speech he gave worried her a bit. He was probably a supporter of the Hammerite Order, or worse.

She got to her feet quickly and dusted herself off. Well, if anything she was glad the kid got away on his own. It was best that she got away from here quickly, she figured to herself.
Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:02 am

The priest incognito slowly rose to his feet and patted down the dust from his cloak. So much for that. He had given the child all he could - all you ever could do was show them the right path to take, you couldn't force it. The moment you made a wayward brat do the right thing, you took away their power, you took away the oppertunity for them to do it themselves, and you took away their true ability to reform.

All you could do was give them the tools to build themselves. Still, Marlowe would remember his face. If he saw the boy steal again he would solve the problem.

He watched the young woman who'd been knocked down by the fleeing wretch and gave her a look of sympathy.

"Street rats, what can you do?" He said to her.
Back to top Go down
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:10 am

She really couldn't think of anything to respond with, just slowly nodded her head. She quietly picked up her purse from the ground, where it had fallen when she was knocked over, and checked it for any missing coins. She made sure to keep it from Marlowe's view, to be sure he didn't see any of the pagan herbs stuffed in as well. It was apparent she was a bit nervous around the man.

Her eyes drifted into the direction of where the boy had run off to and hoped he was going to have better luck in the future with finding food.
Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:31 am

He gave a good humoured little snort and watched the dark haired woman. She seemed very sedate for a city goer - hardly made a fuss at all about being knocked down. Marlowe's experience lead him to believe that either she was used to being thrown about, or she was trying hard to not draw any attention. And whenever anyone did that, Marlowe's first instinct was to meddle. He'd noticed her guarding her purse like it was a newborn. Not uncommon for a woman, but, at midday it was certainly out of place amidst the carelessness of the crowd.

However he'd already caused enough commotion for one visit. The looks he was receiving from nearby stalls had not escaped him. Stiffly, he moved to join the crowds walking through, shooting one last inquisitive look at the woman as he went.
Back to top Go down
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:36 am

She exhaled a heavy, relieved sigh as she walked him leave. "Thank the woodsie.." She muttered ever-so-quietly under her breath. A part of her was terrified he was going to try to engage her in conversation, and things would not have ended well at all if she had slipped up while trying to maintain her civilian cover.

She grabbed a mint leaf from her purse and popped it in her mouth, chewing furiously before continuing on her way. Though she couldn't for the life of her remember what it was she was on her way to do anymore.
Back to top Go down
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:37 am

Marlowe noticed at the end of the street a large building had a lot of posters, many having the picture of the prophet Father Karras on them. South Quarter it seems was being hit with the "Haretic Plague", an attempt to convert the middle and working class people who lived here.

Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 1:09 am

Marlowe had been stuck staring at the building, his face overcast with dark thoughts, when a voice from the crowd cut into him.

"Ren!" A familiar grinning young man came up to his side, out of breath. "I swear this is pure chance, utterly pure chance."

"Yes. Hello Vashek." Marlowe took great pains to turn his gaze from the wall and to his friend. Shorter and smaller, Vashek seemed to fit entirely inside Marlowe's shadow. "They're spreading."

Vashek looked puzzled. "They've been in South Quarter for a while now, Renard, you just haven't noticed."

Marlowe gave him a look.

"I know, I know, I'll try to find something out. There's this watchmaker I've been tailing, and I swear he knows a higher up in their Dayport hive, that..." The young rogue continued on but Marlowe's thoughts drifted back to the wall filled with posters. He knew how easily people were mislead by tricks and gimmicks - he'd used every trick in the book. But the Mechanists were writing their own, and they were good. And somehow he doubted he was young enough to adapt.
Back to top Go down
Anakara(Carly)
Admin
Anakara(Carly)

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 1:29 am

The cool breeze ruffled the posters, some had been there for days maybe even weeks. The Mechanists lured the public with wonderous new technology rather then focusing on the Builder Himself. The charcoal eyes of Karras stared at Marlowe, mocking him as if to say "I am winning".

Back to top Go down
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 2:09 am

Eleni just found herself wandering around the same area for a while, eating the apple she had purchased earlier. Truly, she had forgotten where she was going or what she was doing before all the commotion had gotten her attention.

That man though...something about him was unsettling to her. It was a big city though, she was sure if she was careful she wouldn't have to run into him again. After finishing the apple she popped a few more mint leaves in her mouth, letting the fresh tasting oils of the plant relax and soothe her. It was a wonderful taste. Now where the taff was she supposed to be right now?
Back to top Go down
quotidia

quotidia

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 7:11 am

Marlowe shot the wall on last, long, dark gaze and steered his excitable apprentice off towards his home.

He could tell he wouldn't sleep tonight, having been sufficiently disturbed out of his benevolent mood. If he were good, he would fill it with his work, till the last ounce of his energy was burned from him, and sleep would come by force. If he were to be bad, he would slip back into the streets by nightfall and hunt down other 'distractions', till the inevitable wave of oblivion took him.

Vashek's company calmed him, always. The young man's unrelenting optimism and energy always recharged the priest, who felt 60 if not a day older. It was easy to feel old when your hands ached of fresh wounds, and your mind swam with dark thoughts of a coming revolution.

Yes, he would most likely be 'bad' tonight.

As the two walked out of the markets together, Marlowe held a secret smile.
Back to top Go down
Ravenwood

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Eleni rubbed the back of her neck lightly. Well it was getting dark, she realized. The crowds were starting to thin out as people started to head back to their homes for dinner and bed.

But she wasn't going to be one of them. Not quite yet.

For one, she liked it when there were less people out. Sure, night was when some of the more dangerous criminals usually stalk about, but in general there were less people around for her to worry about stealing her purse or bumping into her. She liked not feeling crowded and anxious while trying to make her way through the markets. What were the odds some criminal would find her tonight, anyway?

Besides, any feeling of paranoia she would normally feel about being out alone after sunset had already been calmed from the mint leaves by now.

She glanced behind her a moment as a thought hit her. She could always pay the fences a visit before calling it a night. Many of her herbs made potent ingredients for some of the potions they sold, and she did still have plenty of product left.

It never hurt to earn a small bit left at the end of the day, she told herself and started walking back int he direction she had just come from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Markets, Midday   The Markets, Midday I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Markets, Midday
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Factions: A Thief RPG :: City Districts :: South Quarter-
Jump to: